Thursday, July 25, 2013

Monster pumpkin?

Well, maybe not, but this is by far the best pumpkin that I have grown to date. It's still growing so who knows how large it will get. I put a key on it for size reference. The vines borers are a no show so far this year. Last fall I dug through the dirt and removed any of the nasty white worms, so maybe that helped. By this time last year they were already killing the plants so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
Just have about 5 other starters on the vines. A lot of the females seemed to wither before flowering so no chance for them but there is still plenty of time left!




4 comments:

  1. Wow! Good for you! How many plants are in your pumpkin patch? They spread out so much, but it looks like you have lots of space.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my!!! What a beauty!
    My female flowers are also withering before they bloom :( Wonder why?

    The Great Pumpkin must be proud :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pumpkins take a lot of lovin' and attention I think. When I lived in NY State I never had any luck. They would grow a little then rot or bugs get them. This guy is looking good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thinned out the plants when they started growing Justine. I only kept 5 of the best looking ones and they are sure taking up the space.
    I really don't know why the females are withering Countess, but in the last few days I've had about 4 more take hold and look pretty healthy...so there is hope yet for both of us.
    Yeah Mark, every year is is a roll of the dice. Do you try to grow them in Florida?

    ReplyDelete