Sunday, June 30, 2013

2013 Pumpkin patch progress

Boy, it really has been a long time since posting last. Been taking a break from things and concentrating on work. But it is probably time to get planning and building for this years haunt so I guess I'm back in the saddle. Just wanted to show a couple of pics of the pumpkin plants this year so far. They are coming along nicely, but one plant in particular which did not get planted in the bed with the rest is growing like crazy. The leaves on it are huge as you can tell in the picture with my hand for scale. Now I have to keep an eye out for the vine borers and try to catch them before things get out of hand like last year.






4 comments:

  1. Beautiful vines! I HATE vine borers. They destroyed my crop two years again.
    I hope that you have a successful season :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a good looking crop! I have two pumpkin plants growing this year. They grew from the seeds of last year's Halloween pumpkins that were left out for the winter. It always seems that the seeds that plant themselves grow the strongest! I'm enjoying the plants even without pumpkins. They're decorative in themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How many pumpkins will a plant yield on average? By the way, "congrats" on your Home Haunter's Video Award!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks everyone. I think you are right Justine...the ones you don't plant always seem to do the best. And you are right about them just being beautiful plants, they grow so fast that they are fun to watch.
    Thanks for the congrats Mark. Coming from a haunters who's work I greatly admire, that means a lot. The pumpkin yield changes every year, some years I may get as many as 4 to 5 per vine, and other years maybe only 1 or 2 small ones. The giant plant in the back is looking very promising so my hopes are high this year. All the rain we got helped as well.

    ReplyDelete